A Little Piece of Heaven....
I just got back from the Upstream retreat, and thought I'd share a little bit of what God showed me this weekend...it was pretty awesome. As Travis pointed out, the purpose of a retreat isn't to escape the real world....but I still think that taking the time to confront the issues facing us in the real world in a retreat setting is a bit of heaven...fellowship with other believers, praising the Lord, and learning more about Him....it's just sweet.
So, we listened to some Matt Chandler talks on the drive up, and one theme that came up that was repeated on the retreat was happiness. We chase after the things of this world, and when they don't satisfy, like the complete imbecils we really are, we seek more of what doesn't satisfy us, rather than seeking the only thing that can truly satisfy....Jesus! I see this in my own like quite a bit....retail therapy anyone? This problem can manifest itself in many ways....in relationships...we seek to have another person fill a void that only God can....quite frankly, I've gotten to the point where I am happy to not be in a relationship.....it's not a big priority for me...another person does not, and cannot, complete me...only God can...and I have some work to do in that department...growth needs to happen before God could even bless me with a partner to run with.
So, here is an analogy about filling ourselves with the things of this world that Matt Chandler used....
let's say that all you have to eat, all day long, for months and months, was crackers. And you said, "Man, these crackers are really just not satisfying me. What I reallly need is.....more crackers." Think about it.
Psalm 81 speaks of God's goodness and Israel's waywardness....I think it applies well in this situation, to how God feels about us....
"...open your mouth wide and I will fill it. But My people did not listen to My voice....oh that My people would listen to me...I would feed you with the finest of wheat, and with honey from the rock I would satisfy you."
Neat Conviction Number Two
How did I get to this point of complacency when it comes to being a light to the world? Here is a Bible verse Travis read...
2 Corinthians 4:3-6
"...it is veiled to those who are perishing, in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, "Light shall shine out of the darkness", is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ"
Light-bearer.....not student, not future international affairs expert, not trophy wife.....light-bearer. That is my primary purpose in being here on earth!
Some verses relating to that that I read this morning....
Ephesians 5:11
"Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them...but all things become visible when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light. For this reason it says, (from Isaish 60), "Awake sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you."
5:15-17
"Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, for the days are evil. So then, do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is."
I could go on and on....spiritual high...but I intend to make it more than a high....highs are inevitable, even good, so long as we apply the things we've learned to our lives...but I'll leave you with this thought from the weekend....the gospel never gets old.....think about it.
So, we listened to some Matt Chandler talks on the drive up, and one theme that came up that was repeated on the retreat was happiness. We chase after the things of this world, and when they don't satisfy, like the complete imbecils we really are, we seek more of what doesn't satisfy us, rather than seeking the only thing that can truly satisfy....Jesus! I see this in my own like quite a bit....retail therapy anyone? This problem can manifest itself in many ways....in relationships...we seek to have another person fill a void that only God can....quite frankly, I've gotten to the point where I am happy to not be in a relationship.....it's not a big priority for me...another person does not, and cannot, complete me...only God can...and I have some work to do in that department...growth needs to happen before God could even bless me with a partner to run with.
So, here is an analogy about filling ourselves with the things of this world that Matt Chandler used....
let's say that all you have to eat, all day long, for months and months, was crackers. And you said, "Man, these crackers are really just not satisfying me. What I reallly need is.....more crackers." Think about it.
Psalm 81 speaks of God's goodness and Israel's waywardness....I think it applies well in this situation, to how God feels about us....
"...open your mouth wide and I will fill it. But My people did not listen to My voice....oh that My people would listen to me...I would feed you with the finest of wheat, and with honey from the rock I would satisfy you."
Neat Conviction Number Two
How did I get to this point of complacency when it comes to being a light to the world? Here is a Bible verse Travis read...
2 Corinthians 4:3-6
"...it is veiled to those who are perishing, in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, "Light shall shine out of the darkness", is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ"
Light-bearer.....not student, not future international affairs expert, not trophy wife.....light-bearer. That is my primary purpose in being here on earth!
Some verses relating to that that I read this morning....
Ephesians 5:11
"Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them...but all things become visible when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light. For this reason it says, (from Isaish 60), "Awake sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you."
5:15-17
"Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, for the days are evil. So then, do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is."
I could go on and on....spiritual high...but I intend to make it more than a high....highs are inevitable, even good, so long as we apply the things we've learned to our lives...but I'll leave you with this thought from the weekend....the gospel never gets old.....think about it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home