Who Am I? A Dr. Jekyll trying to keep Mr. Hyde in check perhaps...
So, as I stretched out on a couch on campus yesterday, I had some random thoughts...I started reminiscing about high school, not quite sure why, and then how much I've changed in the short period since then....it seems like just yesterday I was entering my freshman year of high school...
It occured to me that high school is a whole lot about figuring out who you're not, college is where you truly do discover who are are.
I always thought that sounded somewhat cheesy....as a senior in high school preparing to enter college, I would think that it sounded silly...I know who I am...duuuh. But since I've been here, I've discovered that it's true. I don't know myself as well as I once thought I might have. College has a way of bringing your weaknessed to the surface...as well as your strengths. I am growing in the knowledge of who I am in Christ, and a lot of that process involves the realization that I don't know myself as well as I thought I did...or as well as He knows me. What are my true priorities? What is true friendship? What truly gets me?
Who was I in high school even?
Self-absorbed...not that I'm not anymore....it's just that in high school I really did have that assumption that most students have that the world does revolve around me. Even though everything might have felt like it meant the world, I really didn't have much to stress about.
I also leaned on others for my faith...to some extent I still do that...but once you get to a secular university, you really do experience what it is to own your faith in an environment that is not necessarily completely on board with it, as opposed to high school where I was blessed with an environment that supported it completely.
Well, those are my thoughts for the day....brought about because recently, God has started showing me some things about my talents, interests, and passions that really suprised me....let's just say He has also been peaking my interest in ministry areas that I would never have considered myself interested in before...in fact, I might even be slightly obstinately opposed to doing some of the things He's been whispering to me about....what will end up happening? I'm waiting to see.....
It occured to me that high school is a whole lot about figuring out who you're not, college is where you truly do discover who are are.
I always thought that sounded somewhat cheesy....as a senior in high school preparing to enter college, I would think that it sounded silly...I know who I am...duuuh. But since I've been here, I've discovered that it's true. I don't know myself as well as I once thought I might have. College has a way of bringing your weaknessed to the surface...as well as your strengths. I am growing in the knowledge of who I am in Christ, and a lot of that process involves the realization that I don't know myself as well as I thought I did...or as well as He knows me. What are my true priorities? What is true friendship? What truly gets me?
Who was I in high school even?
Self-absorbed...not that I'm not anymore....it's just that in high school I really did have that assumption that most students have that the world does revolve around me. Even though everything might have felt like it meant the world, I really didn't have much to stress about.
I also leaned on others for my faith...to some extent I still do that...but once you get to a secular university, you really do experience what it is to own your faith in an environment that is not necessarily completely on board with it, as opposed to high school where I was blessed with an environment that supported it completely.
Well, those are my thoughts for the day....brought about because recently, God has started showing me some things about my talents, interests, and passions that really suprised me....let's just say He has also been peaking my interest in ministry areas that I would never have considered myself interested in before...in fact, I might even be slightly obstinately opposed to doing some of the things He's been whispering to me about....what will end up happening? I'm waiting to see.....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home